CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Gratitude



Gratitude is a state of appreciation, an act of thanksgiving, which causes us to be humble because we recognize an act of kindness, service, or caring from some one else which lifts us and strengthens us.....Gratitude expressed to our Heavenly Father in prayer for what we have brings a calming peace-- a peace which allows us to not canker our souls for what we don't have.

This was part of our RS lesson today. I can not even express what this lesson meant to me. I have been struggling lately with the feeling of ungratefulness. Not so much on my part but my family. I am not by any means saying I am perfect, but I try to show gratitude to everyone and anyone who does anything for me. I am a wife, a mother to 3, a cook, laundry doer, the maid, taxi cab driver, peace maker, bill payer, lawn mower, grocery shopper, and the list could go on. And I do not mind doing any of it. I actually enjoy most of it most days. I try not to complain that I do so much for every one but what hurts is when no one is grateful for it. I am trying to teach my family, kids and husband, that saying thank you goes a long way. I just really do wish that I heard thank you for everything I did on a daily basis more often. I am not trying to talk to bad about my family, I know they really are grateful, but I want to hear it. When we were still in VA, one of the books we read for book club was the 5 love languages. And I was skeptical about this book. How can a book tell me what I need? Any how It was sort of true. I was words of affirmation. I want to hear I do a great job at something. I love hearing I look beautiful. It is not like I need the build up, but I do enjoy it. It makes my whole day for James to say I look beautiful. Sometimes I wish I heard it a little more often. He hasn't really been home in over a month and so he is never around to tell me anything. I miss it. I am grateful for my family and who they are. They are amazing and I could not even imagine them not being part of my crazy life. I want to make an extra effort to show my gratitude towards them, and to let them know I am grateful for everything they do for me everyday.

1 comments:

Kara and Theo said...

I love that book! Ever since I met you I thought you were a wonderful lady and an awesome mom and wife! I know exactly what you mean by the thank you part, it's a constant lesson being taught in my house as well. But there is nothing cuter than when my 3 year old catches on and says 'thank you' after doing something for her. It's funny that she can catch on so quickly, but I still have such a hard time with the older ones. Hmm...go figure...:/